Friday, March 16, 2012

April Fool, Phyllis!

Every afternoon when my children and I pull into the driveway after school, the same discussion/argument occurs.

"I am checking the mailbox"
"She got the mail yesterday!"
"Fine, I will see if there are any packages on the front porch."
"You checked the porch yesterday!"
"Today, I want to get the mail and check the front porch!"
"I never get a turn.  IT'S NOT FAIR!!!"

Yes, that is a daily conversation with all 4 of my daughters as very active participants.  I have decided not to get involved, as they always work it out-- sometimes with tears and sometimes without.   I don't quite understand the excitement about getting the mail, as it is usually bills and ads.

Today, however, after the argument, my 6 year old twins went to check the porch and found a package and then began to argue over who would get to open it.  Since my name was on it. . . I opened it.

On a side note, I know that the girls are dressed alike in the picture, they did that themselves.  I NEVER dress them the same!  I believe that even though they are genetically identical, it is important that they celebrate their individuality.

Back to the book.  We were all very excited to find April Fool, Phyllis by, Susanna Leonard Hill.  Phyllis had landed in Los Angeles for her US Tour, and made her LA stop at our house!  My girls love to read new books, but they especially love to receive new books in the mail.  We read the instructions, and were eager to begin.


We sat down to read it and now that they both know how to read, they enjoyed reading the treasure hunt clues to me.  Susanna does a fantastic job of integrating so many different concepts into the book.  Weather, practical jokes, and a treasure hunt are all intertwined and enhanced by the amazing artwork of Jeffrey Ebbeler.  I also loved the back matter about the history of April Fool's Day and how it is celebrated in different places around the world.

Since I have to give up the book and send Phyllis on her way to the next stop on her US tour, I plan to purchase my own copy.  

Benjie NEVER misses out on story time with the girls!  


Don't miss out on having this book in your home in a few weeks. Check out April Fool, Phyllis on Amazon and order it today!  You won't be disappointed.





18 comments:

  1. Nice review.
    Too funny about your girls. Mine are exactly two years apart but they like to dress the same whenever they can. I have to buy the same for both. Its slowly starting to change now but for the longest time all my friends thought I dressed them up the same on purpose.

    Yes my girls (4 and 6) love to check the mail as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older 2 girls are 2 years apart and they dress NOTHING alike! But they still hope that it is their day to get the mail!

      Delete
  2. I can tell by their big smiles that your girls enjoyed April Fool Phyllis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you and your girls enjoyed Phyllis's stop in LA! Thank you so much for having her, and for your lovely review on Amazon and this fun post. I hope everyone got to sign the book :) Thank again for everything, Sandi! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis is a great girl! We were glad to be her host family in LA, and we can't wait to hear about the rest of her trip!

      Delete
  4. Oh, how your house sounds like my house -- and I only have two (boys that is). It sounds like you all had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i look forward to seeing what adventures phyllis enjoys while on her tour at your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lot of fun solving the clues in the book. Can't wait to see what everyone else says about their visits with Phyllis.

      Delete
  6. What a great post, Sandi! I loved the pictures. What cutie pies! I am ready for Phyllis to get to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved seeing your girls with the book! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute girls! I hear the same arguing with my two kids. Which part of LA do u live? I used to live in La Habra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't Phyllis just the most fun ever? Enjoyed her visit to your home -- that mail run was certainly worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your post! :)

    My nieces are twins; they never dress alike, but unless I see them together, I have ahard time figuring out which one is which. When they are together, it's easy though. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your twins are adorable. Looks like Phyllis was well loved at your house!

    ReplyDelete