Monday, September 19, 2011

My Wheels are Turning. . .

Starting the blog last night has revived my excitement for writing.  I have been suffering from a sever case of writer's block lately, and this was just the right thing to get me going again.  I have been thinking about how to revise previous works, and my brain has been conjuring up new story ideas.  I keep checking back to see how many people are interested in my blog.  So far you have been responding on Facebook, but only 2 of my favorite writers have actually joined.  Come on, you can do it. . . you are in good company here!

Now that all of my children are back in school, I am really looking forward to working on my craft.  Writing has always been a hobby of mine.  In recent years, however, I have been taking it much more seriously.  I have been a participant in several different critique groups, both online and in person, as well as been an active member in SCBWI-LA (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators-Los Angeles).  I am bravely and cautiously submitting my manuscripts to editors, publishers, and agents all over the country.  Waiting by the mailbox for a letter or checking the inbox for an email with even the smallest amount of feedback can be absolute torture! Patience is not always my strong suit.

I find that attending weekend retreats with SCBWI to be extremely inspirational.   I love having no interruptions to simply write.  The critique sessions never feel long enough, and the lectures are so informative.  I highly recommend them to anyone who enjoys writing.  Unfortunately, I missed my favorite retreat, the Working Writer's Retreat, last weekend.  Maybe next year.. .

I have even recently ventured into the world of writing for adults.  I entered the Life Lessons contest for Real Simple Magazine (a fantastic magazine, by the way).  My submission is in, and winners will be announced in January.  I will keep you posted on how that goes. . . wish me luck!  Maybe more contests are in my future.  If you see any that you think I might be interested in, please let me know.

I have actually even begun to focus on adult reading again.  With young children it is often difficult to find time to sit and read beyond easy readers.  I enjoy picking up a good novel and escaping into the story.  It is nice to pretend to be in a different time or place and block out all of my daily activities.  I hope that my reading is demonstrating to my children how to be adult readers some day as well, and not just focused on things that require electricity.

I am saddened by the fact that children spend a lot of time playing video games, texting, and watching TV (my own children are absolutely included in that group).  I think that there is something so special about sitting with a book in hand and feeling the texture of the page.  Soaking in the story in a non-electronic way.  I realize that e-books are the new trend, but I am sort of old fashioned on this one.  Hey, I still use a paper calendar--can't seem to use my Blackberry for much more than a phone.  I believe that e-books certainly have a purpose and a place.  For young children, however, I hope that they learn to appreciate the joys of snuggling under a blanket with a book.  Some of my most special memories with my own kids are around story time--teaching them to first turn a page, reading the same books over and over again, and calling the dog so that he doesn't miss story time before bed.  As soon as Benjie hears me say 'story time' he come running from anywhere in the house and jumps into my lap with no regard for blocking the pictures!

Let me know your thoughts. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment