Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Where it all began.. .

Now that I have decided to devote so much of my time to developing a career as an author, I had to take some time to think about why.

Why do I want to pursue a career that will, most likely: result in a great deal of rejection, bring me very little money, take more time than a standard 40 hour work week, and frustrate me to no end?

The answer is not simple, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

When I was a little girl I always loved to write.  I wrote letters to my friends and wrote long messages on birthday cards for my family members. I also loved to read.. . .in fact, today I read to my children some of the original copies of my childhood favorites.  I can't believe that both my mother and I saved them all of these years.  My children frequently remind me of my age and comment on how those books belong in an antique book store.

I also loved to read until I got to high school.  Before high school I was able to read for the joy of reading, with the occasional book report.  I selected the books that I wanted to, and if I wanted to read a favorite over and over I could.  In high school, however, that changed.  I had to read the books that my teachers required of me and then analyze them.  I disliked looking for symbolism--it bothered me that we had to try to figure out the author's thought process.  I believed that sometimes authors simply wrote a story for the sake of the story--nothing more.  This picking apart of a book actually backfired on my teachers' intentions. . . beyond my homework, I didn't read anything for my own pleasure beyond a magazine article for almost 20 years.  This is incredibly sad and embarrassing to me.  I was a poor model to my own students as well as to my children.

While reading was a downer for me in high school, writing picked up for me.  I will never forget the Advanced Expository Writing class that I took with Mrs. Edington.  She was a fantastic teacher and settled for nothing less than perfection with a smile.  I was driven to prove to her that I could attain the goal which she had set.  In fact, that year I wrote a story that was entered into a state writing contest.  As the grand prize winner I let a group of students to the state capitol building in Madison, Wisconsin and presented all of the winning stories to Governor Tommy Thompson.  I can even remember what I was wearing that day!

From that day on I joined the school newspaper, and continued to take a variety of different writing classes in college--still not reading.

About 7 years ago my husband and I experienced a tragic event and I needed to get some things off of my chest.  In an attempt to write a journal entry, my first picture book came out.  I loved it!  Despite the topic, I loved the rush that I got from putting it down on paper.  I love the rush that I got from editing, and I loved the rush that I got when I went to the mailbox to see if a publisher liked it.  It never made it to the shelves, but it did jump start me.

I have been writing ever since.  I always have a story running through my head.  I keep pads of paper next to my bed, in my purse, in my car, and any where else that I can stash one.  Today, I love analyzing a story!  In fact, editing is my favorite part of writing.

Going back to the beginning. . .why do I want to pursue a career as an author?

It excites me.  It has always excited me.  It just took a while to discover why, but now that I know. . . I am driven to attain the goals that I set for myself.


7 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you that it was a tragic event that was the catalyst that got you writing. I am grateful that you were able to find your true direction through such a difficult experience, though. I'm delighted that there are stories spilling out of your imagination at every turn now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As horrible as the event was, it has positively changed my life in ways that I never could have imagined. Writing is just the tip of the ice berg.

      Delete
  2. I love this post, Sandi. I think my reasons are much the same as yours, but I've honestly never thought about it that much. I am a writer. It's who I am. I've always done it... but haven't though much about why. I think it's the excitement of getting an idea, trying to set it down in a way that will speak to others. I think it's the siren call of the blank page, so full of possibilities! And I think it's very important to remember that, especially when the writing may not be going well and those rejection letters are piling up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Susanna. I think that people who are writers just know it. It drives us, and the challenges that we need to over come with rejections just drive us even harder.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing about where your writing began. I have to admit that, being an English major at university temporarily ruined my love of literature too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad isn't it. . . However now, I am reading again. Not as much as I would like to, but I don't think that will come until all of my children move out.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your award! consider this comment also a test to see if your word verification is off. :-)

    ReplyDelete