Friday, December 2, 2011

My New Strategies

Today is a day of mixed emotions for me.  I have had to temporarily let go of something that has been near and dear to my heart for a while, and I am trying to figure out how to make the situation a better one.  I knew that this was coming, but when reality sets in it is not the same as just thinking about it.

I have decided to take on a new outlook!  I am not looking at this as a lost opportunity, but rather a gained opportunity.  I will now have more time to work on developing my career as a writer.  While I may not become the next Tommie dePalo, Shel Silverstein, or Judy Blume. . . I can certainly try.

I think that I am going to work on some new strategies for breaking into the field.

Maybe I will put together a portfolio of all of my work and show up at the door of an agency.  I will WOW them with my charming smile, charismatic personality, and they will be begging me to read my works, and will be setting up my world book tour to begin right away.

Maybe I will hire a sky writer to fly my titles above the headquarters at Scholastic, Random House, and Houghton Mifflin Books.  The company executives will call off work for all employees so that they can schedule an all day search for the author who came up with those puff of smoke titles.

Or maybe, I can go into libraries and book stores around the country and clear out a shelf or two leaving a sign saying:  RESERVED FOR BOOKS WRITTEN BY SANDI HERSHENSON ONLY.

While my ideas may be a little grandiose, you can sense my determination.  I WILL get there someday, and hopefully, at least one of my manuscripts will land on the desk of someone who believes in my writing and wants to help me take it somewhere.  Someone who believes that my stories will get into the hearts of children, and will make a difference in their reading.

I will continue to enter contests like the MeeGenius Author Challenge and hope that people will like my style and vote for me.  Click these links if you want to see my entires(I would beg, plead, and grovel for you to vote for me--but that might be a little much )  http://www.meegenius.com/challenge/dear-tooth-fairy-by-sandi-hershenson  and  http://www.meegenius.com/challenge/i-am-penelope-mae-pickleberg-by-sandi-hershenson

I will continue to model great reading for my own children, and to talk about reading and writing wherever I go.  In fact, maybe I will make others so sick of hearing about it that they will want to publish me just to get me to stop talking.

In any case, thank you all for reading my lengthy vent--I know that I certainly feel better!  I now need to pick myself up by my slippers (since I work from home I don't wear boots to pick up my boot straps) and get to work!

Happy reading and writing everyone!

11 comments:

  1. Great attitude! You can do it! Get those slippers in gear and you're on your way!

    I must, must, MUST follow your blog, so I can see your progress as the new year unfolds. Yes, that triple-repeat indicates a fondness for Eloise. Or rather, for Nanny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your confidence in me! I am so glad that you want to follow my blog. I adore Eloise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it, Sandi. It's that kind of dedication that will land you a publishing contract. You just need to be patient. (This comment was actually posted by www.carolegordonekster.com -- when I tried to post it, I accidentally deleted it oops! Sorry Carole!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perseverance is one of the most important qualities in a successful writer...heck, a successful anything! Too many people give up on dreams. Those who stick with it will make them come true! I have faith in you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I believe you're going to make it happen!

    Don't forget - a published author is just an unpublished author who didn't quit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep the spirit up, Sandi !!! Most writers had to struggle and went through the same phase as we're going through ! The most important thing is to hold on to every inch of development you feel within you. At least, that's what i do..... If you manage to remain determined and keep growing, you'll get there !!!! Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I had my computer off for 24 hours and when I turned it back on I found so much positive support! I am so excited that you not only follow my blog, but that you believe that I can actually make this happen. Please continue to read my blog, and I will keep you all posted. I wish you all the best of luck in your own writing endeavors too!

    ReplyDelete