Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Writer's Block

Normally writer's block wouldn't be a problem, however, today it is really bothering me.  Normally I work very well under deadlines, today it is not happening.  Normally, I can come up with some sort of idea to at least start with, today I am drawing a blank.

I have signed on to be part of a collaborative book with many other authors.  I am writing the opening pages of the book, and I am feeling intimidated.  I agreed to do this because I thought that it would be a good challenge for me.  The opening of a book is very important, it is where you hook your reader.  It is where they decide if they want to turn the page for more. . .or not.

I have a topic, I know what I need to do, but the words are just not coming out right now.  I am worried that I am going to let down my fellow authors.  More importantly, if I let down my readers, they will not want to turn the page and read the works of the other authors and illustrators involved with this project.

I need an inspiration, some sort of 'ah ha!' moment.

I hope that I am up to the challenge. . . . wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Just start writing. Anything. Write around the topic, write something about the "middle" of the topic just to get the juices flowing without worrying about a "hook" at the moment (even though that middle writing won't be used, and isn't your assignment, it may get your brain going). Go for a walk and clear your head -- I get some of my best ideas while walking. Above all, don't just sit there waiting for inspiration. Breathe (the root of the word inspire means "to breathe") and write. Something. Anything.

    And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Great advice! Yesterday some ideas started coming to me while doing some grocery shopping. I guess that you never know where you will find inspiration.

    ReplyDelete